Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Windows

The holiday windows are always big fun for me. I start thinking about them in January and run through all kinds of ideas. A lot gets changed, altered or flat out scrapped before the final plan comes together. Usually I have too much planned for the space and my original plan is scaled back to be more simplistic. I have to keep in mind 2 things:
1) it has to be big - teeny tiny is pointless for people driving by at 25mph (wish the semi drivers would read this and realize it's 25mph in the village!!)
2) this time of year it's more of an invitation to come in rather than sellable space (although by the time I took this picture several items sold off the icy table).


(((A favorite from last year returns, these glittered star wreath holders.)))


The icicles took FOREVER! First we unrolled the "paper". I then handcut lengths of icicles leaving enough at the top to adhere to the window. I should have done that part weeks ago. Then, trying to seperate the skin back from the frosted front zapped mine and my mom's patience. Thankfully, on the second window Lisa Marton stepped in with her usually level headed calmness and started each piece for us. She had the touch. It was so frustrating at one point I almost said just forget it. We still had the entire shop to flip!! But I'm glad we pressed (pun intended) on, they are the icing on the cake so to speak!


"Deep within the winter forest among the snowdrift wide, you can find a magic place where all the fairies hide." I think this is where they gather for their feast. I used 4 glass cylinder vases for the table legs, luckily finding the third the day before set up. I had planned on glass block stacked for the legs until I priced them...scary. The cylinders actually worked out better because U was able to partially fill them with snow. The glass top is from my parent's patio table. The "food" is cupcakes stacked on the frosty tiered stand are made from expanding foam insulation in cupcake liners, there is a siler tray laden with icy glass "croquette's" dripping with white primer "icing", the carved ice martini glasses are filled with chunky ice and an icy ribbon tied bucket holds frosty white pears (I know I know...not things you see at 25mph, broke rule #1).

My skater, she actually turns which was my plan, I was even going to conceal a fan up in the corner to keep her moving but she has Julia Roberts' legs and she gets hung up in the trees. Her original "ice" (vintage mirror) sold the night of the Gathering and was replaced the following week with another.

I do hope they add joy to your holiday season!

16 comments:

the author said...

Oh my goodness... I am a window lover! And yours is magical! I would stop at your store. The table legs, the martinis
, the white on white, LOVE it!

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

WOW, everything looks just beautiful!! I always so look forward to seeing your windows as you are so creative with them. Thanks, I feel I was almost there...

Diane Irvine Armitage said...

Gorgeous! I'll bet they are even more magical at night. They put me in the holiday mood :-)

paige said...

amazing
beautiful
sighing .....

trash talk said...

Fantastic and fresh! Debbie

Kasey said...

Lisa, it looks just wonderful!!
k-

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!!! I would stand there and just enjoy looking through the window~

Debra Hall said...

Just magical!! Love, Love, Love the white! I want to be standing right outside that window looking/peering in for more........Debra

VINTAGE HOME lifestyle said...

Fabulous windows...
Cathleen alyce

Anonymous said...

Oh my, a winter wonderland, magical and beautiful!! I love it!
marcie

Elizabeth Maxson said...

What a beautiful store!!! How festive and it makes me want to just come in and see it all. I loved the inside too!But the windows are my favorite, as I loved doing my store windows all up for the holdays too. Have a great $eason!

Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa

We had so much fun at Urban Farmhouse yesterday! You not only have rare talent for making everything sparkle and glitter festively this time of year, but you also have rare spirit to make everyone feel the radiance and warmth that just permeates your shop! Being there is just such a joy!

Again, thanks for all you did yesterday to make shopping so special at Urban Farmhouse! Hands down, my totally FAVORITE STORE!!! Have a great day.

Marilyn

time worn interiors said...

Fabulous windows! Of course white is my favorite color! I love doing windows also, I just don't have any to do at the moment.
Theothertheresa

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa

We had so much fun at Urban Farmhouse yesterday! You not only have rare talent for making everything sparkle and glitter festively this time of year, but you also have rare spirit to make everyone feel the radiance and warmth that just permeates your shop! Being there is just such a joy!

Again, thanks for all you did yesterday to make shopping so special at Urban Farmhouse! Hands down, our totally FAVORITE STORE!!! Have a great day. Bye for now.
The Snackerdoodles

Sweet Old Vintage said...

Felt your flustration as you were trying to get the icycles in yoour lovely windows... In my floral industry I have planned and completed a couple hundred windows and it was always the biggest plan you made as it was your advertising and selling window... The wonderful windows you created here if I was driving by would make me come to a skiding haul and turn around and come right in..... THEY ARE ROMANTIC AND VERY CHARMING.

Barbara Jean said...

WOW! What beautiful windows!
Now back to see what else you have on your blog.
Thanks for sharing
Barbara Jean